Quick and easy breakfasts can be hard to come by. Cereal is great but it always seems like when we’re in a hurry someone spills milk all over the kitchen (or themselves). Muffins work too but then there are crumbs everywhere. Pancakes or waffles mean the syrup needs to come out and that’s a whole ‘nother mess to deal with. Pop Tarts are usually a win but they can be pricey because of course no one likes the same flavors. I’m going to share how to make your own pop tart inspired breakfast pastries at home so everyone can have their favorite flavors.
Looking for another on the go breakfast idea? The healthy egg sandwiches are a great option!
What do I need to make pop tart inspired breakfast pastries at home?
You’ll only need a couple of things to make your own breakfast pastries at home:
- Pre-Made Pie Crust
- Vanilla Icing
- 1 Egg
How do I make my own breakfast pastries?
Preheat your air fryer or oven so it will be ready to go when your breakfast pastries are ready to bake.
Start out by rolling out your pie crust. You don’t want it to be too thin that it falls apart, but you don’t want your pastry to wind up being too thick and doughy either.
Use a cookie cutter or a knife to cut out the dough for your DIY pop tarts.
In the middle of your dough rectangle, it’s time to add your jelly filling. Be careful to not overfill your pop tart. You don’t want it to explode while you’re eating it (or worse when it’s cooking). You also want to make sure you leave room around the edges for them to seal together. Only put filling on half of the pieces of dough you cut out.
After you have the filling on half of the dough pieces, top them with the other pieces of dough to make your breakfast pastries. Crimp together the edges of the dough rectangles to seal in the jelly filling.
Egg wash the top of each breakfast pasty rectangle to help give it a nice golden brown top.
Now it’s time to cook your breakfast pastries. If you’re putting them in the air fryer, they’re only going to take about 5 – 8 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on them so they don’t burn! They may take slightly longer in the oven.
Give them a couple of minutes to cool off when you take them out.
Here comes the fun part – decorating them! Add some icing to the top of them. If you’re a sprinkle fan, add those too.
Tips for Making Breakfast Pastries at Home
- These are perfect the customize and make whatever flavors you like. Hazelnut spread, chocolate squares and marshmallows, pudding, and pie fillings all make great fillings for your pastries.
- You don’t have to have these just for breakfast. Take the savory route by adding ham and cheese or marinara sauce, pepperoni, and mozzarella cheese for a great lunch or dinner option. Instead of icing, top with shredded cheese.
- Make a bunch of these in advance and freeze them. Wrap them individually in plastic wrap and store them in a zip top bag in the freezer. Take them out the night before to let them defrost in the refrigerator or warm them up in the microwave or toaster in the morning. Skip the toaster if you’ve already added icing to the top of them.
- If you’re baking these in the oven, you can put them under the broiler for a minute or two if you want the tops to be more golden brown and crunchy.
- • Pre-Made Pie Crust
- • StrawberryJelly
- • Vanilla Icing
- • Sprinkles
- • 1 Egg
1. Roll out the pie crust and cut out 3 inch rectangles.
2. Place a teaspoon of strawberry jelly in the center of half of the rectangles.
3. Place a rectangle on top of the strawberry rectangles & press edges together with a fork.
4. Egg wash each rectangle.
5. Place in air fryer for 5-8 minutes on 375. These fry really quick so keep an eye on them!
6. Remove from air fryer and smother in icing.
7. Sprinkle away!
8. Serve & enjoy!