Meeting other people can be challenging. Whether it’s a new mom at the playground or you’re thinking about dating again, it can be hard to open up after being hurt. Stepping outside of your comfort zone is going to be a huge part of this. Yes I know that isn’t easy but if you want to have stronger relationships, you’ll want to give these three ways to open up a try. Little things will lead to bigger things as you build your level of trust. It doesn’t mean that every relationship will last forever and you’ll never be hurt again, but each of those relationships will teach you something new about yourself and that will make it worth it.
Spend Time Together
Nothing is worth more than time. With so many different things demanding and requiring our time and attention, there’s no better way to show someone they’re important to you than spending time together. Regardless of the activity, the time together will help create a bond and relationship with the other person. If you’re feeling brave and ready to take the next step to open up, choose an activity like watching a movie at home where you can talk and giggle during the movie instead of seeing a movie in a theater.
Take a Chance
Say hello. Sit next to someone new at lunch, at church, or on the bus or train. Little things can make a big difference. Not sure where to meet new people? Look around. They’re all around you! While your kids play at the park, say hello to another mom. Smiling and saying good morning to the same people you pass each morning on the way to your office can lead to you having a conversation with them. Volunteering within your community gives you lots of chances to meet new folks while you’re helping. Try one of those home-based party companies if you’re really up for meeting new people (and also need to make some extra money).
Share Something They Don’t Know
I’m not asking you to reveal your deepest, darkest secrets. Save those for later. But for now, it’s ok to tell them why you don’t like tomatoes or only pack pb&j in your lunch or your dream vacation. As your trust builds, hopefully you’ll feel more comfortable to share more with each other over time. Not every relationship will give you a best friend and that’s ok. You can have different relationships with each person in your life and different levels of trust and sharing with them too.
What I’m Doing
I’m very much a work in progress when it comes to relationships. Because I’m such an over thinker, I tend to analyze everything and feel like I need to explain why I decided what I did. Each day I try to not explain myself at least once and I’m getting better. I still justify and explain in my head, but not so much out loud. I also started selling Thirty One recently and that’s required me to step outside of my comfort zone and make relationships with people. In honor of my new relationship with Thirty One, I wanted to share 31 things you might not know about me.
- My name is a family name of sorts. It comes from both of my parent’s middle names.
- My work ethic comes from my dad and it’s a blessing and a curse. He’s always pushed me to do things right if I’m going to do them.
- One day I’d love to visit all the Disney parks around the world.
- I love living at the beach but I miss having the colorful, crunchy leaves of fall and big, fluffy snowflakes.
- As much as I’d love to loose weight, my body is the way it is because of having my babies so I don’t regret it at all.
- Nothing can compare you for leaving the hospital without your baby. I felt like a complete failure that day.
- I only ever packed pb&j in my lunch for school.
- I still love pb&j to this day.
- There’s nothing like a clean house and fresh sheets.
- As crazy as my life has been to this point, I wouldn’t change anything. I really believe the best is yet to come.
- It makes me crazy happy when my friends are happy and excited.
- I wish I was better at taking other people’s compliments and kind words instead of disagreeing with them.
- I’d love to go on an RV trip with my kids some day.
- Spending a day at a theme park, where the only decision is what kind of fun we should have next, is a practically perfect day.
- I’ve always wanted to be a singer. I doubt this will happen because my kids point out often that I can’t sing.
- I’m so glad I joined my friend’s bunco group when I had the chance. I’ve met some amazing ladies because of it.
- I really don’t have a favorite color….people never seem to believe me.
- Writing is one of my favorite things. I may not be perfect but I really love it.
- Walking on the beach is one of the quickest ways for me to destress. The sound of the waves crashing can help me think or clear my mind.
- I may not sit in church every Sunday but I’m still religious and have a relationship with God.
- Eating food that touches makes my stomach turn. My friends love to pick on me because nothing touches on my plate.
- I love baking but usually only want a bite of something….my co-workers are thankful for this because they usually get the rest of whatever I bake.
- Christmas is my most favorite time of the year for so many reasons.
- I’m really dumb when it comes to “girl stuff”. I can’t tell you how many YouTube videos I’ve watched or pins from Pinterest I’ve read on how to apply makeup, how to do my hair, or what clothes look good together.
- I really love to learn things. When someone gives me a project, I try to learn as much as I can so I can do my best work. And even when I don’t have a project, I still enjoy asking lots of questions to learn new things.
- I’m afraid to have a goal (or share it out loud) because I’m afraid of failing.
- Those green little lizards completely terrify me. I’m not a fan of snakes or spiders (or really bugs in general) either…
- So many people comment on how quickly I type. I’m always surprised people can’t type faster because so many things on online these days.
- Lists are my life. If I don’t write it down, I will forget it.
- I love getting a good deal. It might be buying something on clearance, using coupons, shopping sales, or even going to garage sales.
- I still have my baby blanket.
If you’d like to do a little shopping, you can order from my current Thirty One party here. Orders now ship directly to you as soon as they’re placed so no need to wait until the party closes to get your goodies!
Maybe there will be something in the list that you can relate to. If that’s the case, leave me a comment and let me know!
Maybe there will be something in the list that you share. If that’s the case, leave me a comment and let me know!